Monday, November 18, 2013

First Week at Paul Revere Intermediate School

     After spending some time at Paul Revere Intermediate School in Blue Island, I have been able to learn a lot about teaching and about students in general.  I have been working with third thru fifth graders in their P.E. classes.  My cooperating teacher has been awesome and I have been able to learn a lot by observing her methods.
     Class periods are only 30 minutes long, so it is important to maximize the time in which the students are active. Each class begins with the students running around the gym while music is playing.  The students begin running when the music starts, and when it stops they begin to walk.  Following the cardio warm-up the students sit in their "squads" and prepare for the core workout portion of the warm-up.  The students follow a CD with instructions for their sit-ups and push-ups.  Following the warm-up, the teacher will give the class their directions for the day's activities and shortly after, the activity will begin.
      So far we have gone through two different units.  We just recently finished our soccer unit and have now begun the hockey unit.  Following the soccer unit there was a review day and a test over soccer concepts and rules.  I graded these tests and the majority of students did very well and demonstrated that they understood the concepts. I was able to teach a class period this past week and that was very exciting.  The class went really well and the students all understood the game we played and they had lots of fun.  I will be doing part of the hockey review later this week, so I am anxious to see if I can help the students prepare for their test over the hockey unit.
       It has been a great experience so far and I am looking forward to continuing my work at Paul Revere.  The diverse student population and an excellent cooperating teacher have helped to make this experience a good one for me so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment